strain review | 24k

5:58 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


24k (Kosher Tangie)
Indica-Dominant Hybrid
22.8% THC
$15/g from The Source Las Vegas

I've been in a bit of a canna-rut lately.

I'm a daily medicinal smoker, and usually I try to pick strains that will give me the most "bang for my buck." I definitely shop sales, and buy bulk as much as I can. As a result, I've been re-upping with the same couple of strains for the last few months. They're awesome and definitely do their job, so I can't really complain, but I was craving something new.

I stopped in at The Source's Las Vegas location, which is close to basically everywhere I frequent, to check on their deals (as an aside, The Source has been running some amazing sales this month, so if you're ever looking for good weed at a decent price, hit 'em up.) They had a handful of strains on sale, and I scent-tested them all, but one stood out: 24k.



24k is a hybrid strain, a cross of Kosher Kush and Tangie, two strains I've tried before and love (actually, I have Kosher Kush in my grinder now). It's considered an indica-dominant hybrid, which is what I typically reach for when I'm feeling crappy, and is said to help with stress, insomnia, and pain (my three biggest medicinal complaints). The buds aren't huge or super fluffy like some of the strains I've reviewed before, but they are a gorgeous green and pretty terpy.

The biggest wow factor for me right off the bat was the smell. I mentioned this in my Agent Orange review earlier this year, but a nice-smelling bud can definitely make or break a purchase for me. Like AO, 24k has a very distinct citrus scent that automatically lifted my mood. Of course, I had to get it.

I don't usually recommend a strain I haven't smoked, but I had a good feeling about this strain, so I brought an eighth to a get-together with some friends and we shared a few bowls over our favourite card games.

We were all blown away by 24k's flavour profile, which matched the citrus/orange smell dead-on. Some of my friends have complained in the past about disliking the taste of weed (a concept I personally can't fathom), but no one complained at this bowl. It's just that good!

As far as effects go, I noticed this strain hit me right off the first exhale. It wasn't energizing like a true sativa, but I didn't have couch-lock either--instead, I felt a nice sort of middle ground, ready to interact and socialize but still mellow enough for the mood (8 p.m. on a weeknight). Some of the games we like to play can be difficult to follow sober, never mind stoned, but I didn't find that this strain affected my skills at all (I think I might have won a few rounds!) Instead, I felt cheerful and comfortable and social. I had a few glasses of wine (red blend) with this strain and found they paired really nicely together, both in terms of flavour and effect (I'm cautious when I drink and smoke at the same time, but I found that this combination didn't have me on my ass like some strains do). A few hours later, 24k helped me melt off to a really, really amazing night's sleep, and I woke up the next morning still motivated and uplifted.



I tried it again a few days later in the morning as a sort of wake and bake, just to see if the effects would differ during the daytime, and was pleasantly surprised to find this as a sort of "all day" strain. First thing in the morning, I felt the same motivation and positivity, and my morning bowl carried me through cleaning the kitchen and bathrooms (if you don't know me, you should know that I hate cleaning and will do anything to get out of it--that a strain kept me cheery and productive to finish three rooms is nothing short of a miracle!) After a good sesh I found the effects lasted for about 2 hours, but I didn't feel groggy or gross upon wearing off--I just wanted another bowl.

One word of warning, however: this strain is not for the faint of heart. At almost 23% THC, it is a pretty "heavy hitter" and as such I wouldn't recommend it for the new smoker (luckily, all of my friends have been smoking for ages, so nobody got overly medicated or uncomfortable.) Too much of this strain can cause a serious case of the dizzies, so if you're a new smoker--or new to the strain--make sure you medicate slowly.


After we finished the eighth I actually went back to the dispensary and picked up another eighth (almost unheard of for me, especially since it was no longer on sale and I had to pay full price). I can definitely see myself reaching for this strain again and again, especially on productive or social days. 24k definitely helped me break out of my canna-rut and inspired me to grab some other new strains, too...keep your eyes peeled for my next review! Until next time!

Come back every Saturday for Saturday Strains, where I'll be reviewing a new Vegas-bought strain every week!