fresh buds | med card basics

8:00 PM 0 Comments A+ a-

Welcome to Fresh Buds, our weekly feature for the new and curious patient! Today I thought we'd start with the basics: getting your med card. 

Although several states have taken the leap to recreational legalization--and it looks like Nevada is poised to follow that same route later this year--having a med card is the ticket to legally using marijuana in most states. 

If you're here already, I have to assume you have some background of marijuana and you're familiar with (and recognize!) it's medicinal benefits. Today, I'd like to talk a little about the process.



Do I qualify for medical marijuana?
Medical marijuana policies differ drastically from state to state, so the best way to ensure that you are covered under state law is to look up your state's laws. 

In Nevada, the following conditions qualify you for a medical marijuana recommendation:
  • AIDS
  • Cachexia
  • Cancer
  • Glaucoma
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Persistent muscle spasms or seizures
  • Severe nausea or pain
  • Other conditions are subject to approval

Some states, such as California, allow for doctors to recommend marijuana for any condition they feel it would improve. Others, like Utah, only allow for CBD treatments for seizure patients...that's it. Know your laws and know your rights. 

What exactly is a medical marijuana recommendation? Will my doctor recommend a particular strain for me?
A medical marijuana recommendation is a card or piece of paper that in essence gives you the legal right to possess and buy (and in many cases grow!) your own marijuana for medicinal use. In Nevada, a medical recommendation allows for the patient to possess up to 2 and a half ounces at a time, and to purchase a maximum of 2 and a half ounces every 14 days. Patients who live more than 25 miles from their dispensary or who need a strain unavailable at the dispensary are additionally permitted to grow their own plants for personal use. (We also have the right to elect a caretaker, who is responsible for purchasing and dispensing our medicine to us if we cannot.) Under current laws we are NOT protected from housing or employment discrimination due to our medical marijuana status. 

Currently 24 states and the District of Columbia offer some protection for patients. The recommendation typically comes from a doctor, who has determined that cannabis is a safe and effective route for you to manage your health. 

Though some doctors may be more familiar with cannabis and medical products than others, it has been my general experience that doctors do not recommend or prescribe specific strains--however, most budtenders are trained to help you find the best product for your needs.



How do I get my card?
In Nevada, it is actually pretty easy to get a med card (although, beware: the entire process can take up to 2 months!)

The most important piece to getting your med card is a physician's rec. Though technically any Nevada physician in good standing can issue you a rec, most patients--myself included--opt to visit a MMJ friendly office. The one I chose was Doctor Green Relief, although there are about a half-dozen reputable offices in Vegas. I personally chose to visit an MMJ friendly doctor for a few reasons:

1. I found that Doctor Green Relief was much more understanding and open to my choice to treat with MMJ than my standard general care physician. Whereas other doctors I've visited have side-eyed my choice to use cannabis in the past, my doctor was very comfortable with the concept and didn't make the conversation awkward at all. 
2. Doctor Green Relief and other MMJ friendly offices are familiar with our process. They have helped hundreds of patients complete their apps (in fact, many offer a service where they'll do everything for you short of writing the check and sending it off!) I had done my research but I wasn't totally familiar with all the intracacies of a med app, so it was nice to have an advocate who could help make sense of the app. 

The best advice I have in dealing with your doctor is total honesty. Be clear about your current use of cannabis, if any, and as specific as possible. Explain what you use or would like to use it for. If it is a persistent condition and you have medical records, bring those in as well. 

As an aside: you may not have a condition that qualifies for a Nevada rec, or a rec from your state, and you might be tempted to tailor your symptoms to a condition that IS covered. Although that is your choice, please be careful in trying to "work the system." Medicinal cannabis is truly a godsend for those of us who really need it, and abusing the system is the fastest way to have all our rights taken away. I'll discuss this a little more below. :) 

Once you have a rec, you have to apply through the state. Nevada maintains an anonymous registry for its patients, so that you are protected from employers or nosy neighbors but so they can still track who's registered. The office is in Carson City and from what I can tell is almost entirely processed by hand (when I applied for my card I had to write an initial letter to get my app, which cost $25, then I had to mail back the app with an additional $75 to apply. I've since heard that part of the process is now available online.) 

The state took about 4 weeks to process my request but once I was approved I received a letter with my unique patient ID. When I got my letter it allowed me to legally purchase and consume cannabis for the first 14 days, although I had to get my DMV-issued card right away so I could continue to smoke. I've since been told the timeframe is extended to 30 days, but nonetheless I'd recommend to get in to the DMV, immediately. Once you have your card and your rec, you are good for an entire year!

{ in case you were curious...this is what a Nevada medical card looks like. it does NOT replace your driver's license or existing ID card! }

What if medical marijuana is illegal or inaccessible for me?
That is really the million-dollar question. Although nearly half the country has legalized medical marijuana in some capacity, many states have not--and even those who have may not accommodate every ailment. 

Currently, the Nevada MMJ policy is broad enough to encompass nearly ten thousand patients, including yours truly. However, many conditions (including mental health conditions) are not considered "qualifying conditions" under Nevada law. 

While this is definitely frustrating, I would caution you against intentionally falsifying your application to get approved. Besides the fact that this is technically illegal...its just not very nice. There are a LOT of people with conditions far more serious than yours or mine who need cannabis to stay alive (hang around a dispensary for a bit and you'll get what I mean). Fraudulently abusing the system puts everyone at risk, including those patients who truly need their meds. Stay patient, legalization is coming!

If you live somewhere where smoking marijuana is illegal, it's really up to you to determine the risks. In every state I've lived in (Washington, Hawaii and Nevada) the penalties for being caught with weed have been laughable, and the laws were never strictly enforced--however, many states are not nearly so forgiving. Research your laws and your rights before you decide to smoke. 

And last but not least, please, make sure your voice is heard! If you live in a state where medical or recreational marijuana is on the ballot, make sure you're registered to vote. Call your representatives and write letters. Learn about the resources in your community and volunteer if you can. Medical marijuana was made possible by us, the people, and we have to continue to advocate for our patient rights. Keep on keepin' on! 

Join me next Wednesday for our next installment of Fresh Buds, in which I'll go into a little more detail about strains and picking the best bud for your sesh. Until next time!