strain review | diablo OG

4:20 PM 0 Comments A+ a-


Diablo OG
Indica-dominant Hybrid
24% THC / .05% CBD
Grown by House of Herbs
$18/g from Essence Vegas - West

I picked up this strain last week on my first visit to Essence. I was looking for something mellow, yet uplifting enough to keep me from sinking into the couch, and the budtender recommended this strain. 

Diablo OG is an indica dominant hybrid, although its roots are somewhat ambiguous. Most likely, it's a cross between Diablo--a relaxing, euphoria-inducing indica--and OG Kush, an uplifting hybrid.

I decided to take a few tokes of this on a rainy Saturday afternoon, hanging out at home. I didn't have anywhere to be, but I was working on a family photo album and doing some yoga on the patio so I wanted a little burst of energy, and I was pleasantly surprised by D-OG. 



The buds themselves are pretty small, but covered in crystals and a few little orange hairs. It smells piney and a bit citrusy, and I could swear I detect a faint scent of mint (although I may be the only one to catch that). It's not overly fragrant, though, so you could easily take a few nugs with you "out and about."

The taste is fruity and almost spicy. I smoked it alone in a pipe first, then in a mango blunt paired with a cup of coffee and have to say--the latter is a perfect pre-game to any tasks you've got to handle and by the end of my cup I was ready to work.  

After a few tokes I knocked out several pages in my photo album (it sounds trivial but sorting through 25 years of family photos is no small task!) I did a few loads of laundry. I set out my crystals and did a little yoga on the patio. I usually experience serious back, shoulder and neck pain while doing those kinds of tasks--the boobs don't help--but D-OG kept me up and running and helped diminish my pain. 

The strain is super versatile, too. Once I was done being productive, I took a few more rips and relaxed onto my couch for an Always Sunny mini-marathon. I didn't feel stuck to the couch or anything, I was just comfortable and enjoying a break (and getting in a few laughs--IASIP is one of my go-to shows when I need a pick me up). I didn't feel anxious at all while smoking this strain, just comfortable and relaxed. 

The effects of the strain seemed to take a little while to come on, but lasted a few hours and wore off gently. I didn't personally experience any negative "side effects". I think this would be an awesome strain for a first-timer because it's a pleasant high without being uncomfortably overpowering; and its versatility makes it a wonderful addition to any stoner's stash box.

Come back every Saturday for Saturday Strains, where I'll be reviewing a new Vegas-bought strain every week!